Lack of Work Management features in Fibery (Reminders, Dependencies, Notifications, My Work, etc.)

Good comparison with Linear, my team has been in and out of it but ultimately still doing development in Fibery due to wanting to keep ALL company work in one place. Linear is very fast, simple, and mobile friendly so I think they have that leg up on Fibery. Not to sound like a broken record, but the foundations of Fibery are so much better than these other tools, just could use some polish and I wish polishing Fibery would get greater prioritization!

2 Likes

Very interesting thread!

I will add my 2cents as an early-stage Startup founder, paying for 20 Business yearly seats on Clickup, that got super excited today when I discovered Fibery (watched all the youtube videos, read all product releases, public roadmap, etc…) as it is the first tool I found that seems to solve my pain (lack of relationships between Objectives>Key results>initiatives>products>features>tasks, etc…) but after reading this thread, I probably won’t be making the jump just yet… here is why:

• I spend 80% of my time in ClickUp in the notifications screen, it’s my “activity” feed, and you can check Clickup’s canny or FB group to see how typical this use case is (I don’t know about my team but I suspect the same because there is no other good place in ClickUp to see all activity that relates to oneself)
  • We use threaded comments & reactions to comments :eyes::white_check_mark: in almost every task
  • Assignees & due dates are at the same level, but I understand those are handled decently in Fibery(?)

It’s table stakes… you won’t gain users for having them, but you will definitely lose users for not having them.

So I agree with @Oshyan that talking to the churned users might be as - if not a lot more - insightful than to the survivors.

Also, I don’t agree that Clickup wasn’t focused on the individual… to this day one of their biggest use case is still solopreneurs, consultants, coaches, agencies (usually started by solopreneurs), etc…

ClickUp, Notion, were definitely bottom-up, product & community-led, individual-first then the individual introduces it to the company because (s)he loves it… it’s not a hard sell, on the contrary you gain status usually from introducing them to your team/contacts, they delight where it matters and they have their table stakes in place.

You say that you haven’t found a reliable way to generate leads, I think their (Notion, Clickup) playbooks of product-led and community-led growth are super applicable to Fibery, and table stakes are definitely key here, no one is gonna advocate for a super hard sell that’s missing table stakes, but once that’s fixed Fibery definitely has enough differentiators to attract very excited ambassadors that will preach and spread it without costing you anything (content, sharable templates, setup services, vetted consultants, etc…).

Finally @mdubakov I think it took Clickup well over a year to release “Email in clickup”, with all their 10s of millions of ARR$ and huge teams (from what I understood some steps had to be approved by Google and took months at a time after every change, and they already had probably 500k clients at that points… Google just doesn’t care, consider how they might threat you), you can go read that feature thread on their canny or FB group too, I’m sure it was one of the most painful tasks they had to deploy (because of Google/Microsoft’s permissions they needed), and I honestly don’t know if it’s used that much…

Hope this helps, happy to share more feedback on a call, I really really got super excited about how Fibery connects OKRs to Product management to Wiki etc.

Mehdi

8 Likes

We are working on new concept here. Our goal is to merge chat and comments into a single system that will make Slack obsolete. I hope we will share the concept in few weeks, collect feedback and start implementation.

14 Likes

:expressionless::neutral_face::open_mouth::astonished::exploding_head:

Wow, cannot wait to see what you come up with!

8 Likes

I’ll steal this emoji row from you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you can also make Twitter obsolete you’ll have a huge influx of new users! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

most interesting thread indeed.

i too feel compelled to add my 2 cents and feel there is much to glean from your potential users on the periphery as suggested by @Oshyan . I have a 10 person architecture practice in business for 15+ years. I have worked my way through more products than i care to mention to help manage our projects. After working with an industry specific tool (BQE Core) for the past couple of years, we have bounced back to a low code / no code solution we were using nearly 8 years ago (Citrix Podio). Why did we move back? Industry specific tools IMHO are heavily task oriented and do not provide relevant context for the work at hand. We had plenty of data, but little of it was useful, and there was virtually no way to incorporate the text, graphical information and custom reporting that works so well in Fibery (and similar products). So why did we move back to Podio? a very simple and somewhat silly answer - Location (geospatial) Fields. Podio has seen virtually no meaningful development in their product in the last 4-5 years, yet it still remained the best (not ideal) solution for us. i know there are some other products that can handle location information (Monday, Airtable… sort of, Notion… sort of), but having a native location field type allows for immediate data validation which is critical to our business.

If not but for this one item, I would move our entire Podio system and eventually our timekeeping and invoicing systems over to Fibery.

The point i am trying to make (besides please incorporate geospatial fields) is that your potential customers may be one small feature away from becoming your actual customers. IMHO it may also be beneficial to hear from those with literally no coding experience. There are plenty of us with a decent understanding of logic and data, along with a need to bring accurate and relevant data to our employees, but cannot write a single line of code.

3 Likes

Hi @T_A

Would you be able to just have two number (float) fields for LAT and LONG?

@mdubakov and @Chr1sG, that makes me think: The same way as you allow users to define structures of databases (like the World Space as a repo for countries), would it be possible to let users create templates for properties? For example that would allow somebody to create a “GeoLocation” property by defining that it has two numbers. Or an Address property by defining a combo of text fields and enums.

2 Likes

I have had pretty good success using text fields and concatenation formulas to make formatted addresses. You can add that to the end of http://maps.apple.com/?q= or Google Maps with another formula and they both do a good job of correcting for errors. If you pull it up in entity view it makes a decent little form and is a reasonably quick way to share location info.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing. Any update on this?

2 Likes

FYI Notion released recently sub-tasks (not sub-stack ;-)) with dependencies. Have not yet really played with it but maybe an interesting comparison

1 Like

About reminders/alerts/notifications:

I want to agree with @Oshyan, @B_Sp, @Patrice_Gorin, and others that are speaking about the need for better notifications and alerts over everything as well as polishing.

If we want to use the “use cases” as an excuse, I’d say notifications/alerts/communication would be used in every single use case across Fibery, which should make it a top priority. There is always a need to be reminded (e.g. perform task, follow up) or be updated about something (e.g. state updated).

Fibery is amazing at housing aggregated data and creating function around it. To @webinit’s point about use cases and a features, we don’t see Fibery as just a Product Management tool, even though we do use it as such—there are many more uses. General Proj Management, Hardware Management, Operations Processes, R&D, Internal Knowledge and Tool Wiki, etc. The thing that makes Fibery so great is that it fits many use cases, within one org. Not because it is a product tool that we are trying to mold to different use cases. How are we expected to use Fibery as an all-in-one and create processes and functions around all this data without effective communication and alerting supporting it? Honestly, when we heard that Fibery was focused product teams, we were a bit disappointed, as we felt the features would start focusing most on that vertical, rather than an “all-in-one” tool.

One of the main reasons we keep leaving Fibery over the last 3 years is the lack of alerting and reminding features. No matter what app we’ve created in Fibery and for what purpose it serves, alerting, notifications and reminders are vital. Fibery team themselves say it takes time to master the platform. This means on a team, there will likely be a small number who can be considered experts of the app. Good alerts, reminders, and notifications help less experienced users follow a clear path to utilizing the app and expert team members stay in the know. Additionally, alerts keep everyone coming back to the app.

Forms are great and useful but in my opinion, weren’t a priority. Form entries can be created via Integromat, Zapier, or API. And what’s a form submission worth without proper notification, alerting, and reminders in place? Same with the current notification system… What is the data in your Fibery instance worth if you don’t have full, easy-to-understand and follow context?

I suppose if you have a specific type of team that is great at staying on top of entities without robust alerting systems, it’s doable… but proper notifications/alerts and reminders are still essential IMHO.

At the end of the day, we keep coming back to Fibery because of its ability to mold to different processes and link to other data points and items. I feel app polishing with the available features holds high importance.

Either way, we love Fibery and are once again re-evaluating it for our new use cases. We hope it stays strong and accomplishes everything it wants to!

9 Likes

Just want to share that where I live (province of Québec in Canada), when you’re company is doing Research and Development works (like I think it’s the case with the development of Fibery), you can have a refund up to 100% of your dev salaries. Just sayin in case it could be a way to boost your team. :wink:

3 Likes