Individual Layouts for a node, hide fields etc

I’m sure @AndreasHe can clarify best, but here’s what I understood their meaning to be:

I have a Type, Client, which has relationships to both Servers (Type) and Contracts (Type). If I open a given Client Entity, I will see lists of both as Related Entites. If there are many such related Entities, these lists could be long. If I am a Developer (Role), I do not care about Contracts, and if I am a Sales Person (Role) I do not care about Servers.

So what seems to be requested here is the ability to create different “templates” for viewing an Entity which show or hide different fields (including relationships). It sounds like doing this on a per-role basis might work (if you could define custom roles), but also perhaps it is desired to be on a per-user basis.

Personally I think that most of the use cases so far described here could be handled with two new features (that I would also like to have):

1: Collapsible field Groups. I don’t need them to be fully hidden, but being able to define a whole set of fields as a Group and then “roll up” (i.e. collapse) them would be really helpful for increasingly complex layouts. It would also reduce my need for more and more Types because part of the reason I define a new Type now is to reduce complexity of the Field contents in a parent Type (i.e. I move fields with some commonality into a sub-Type, but they could just as easily be in a Group).

It would be nice to have Collapse for individual Relations Entity lists, too.

2: Per-user persistent collapse state for Entity View. So if a given user collapses a given Group, the next time they view an Entity of that Type, it will still be collapsed. This would mean every user would have to manually collapse anything that was not relevant to them, but only the first time. The ability for an Admin to define view permissions for Groups would also be good, but persistent collapse state would also partially solve this, and has other benefits.

Hopefully @AndreasHe can correct me if I’m way off on what this request is :wink:

2 Likes