How to create a custom view of Table?

Yes, that is correct. A “table” in this context is a type of “View”, rather than in the traditional database management sense of “container for data”.

This is probably a larger topic than just this specific example since Notion, ClickUp, and probably others have some UI conventions that I find helpful for organizing increasingly large and complex spaces, data structures, visualizations, etc.

So in Notion a database can be created anywhere, and with any one of 6 types of Views: Table, Board, List, Gallery, Timeline, and Calendar. All of these are just views of a database. Only main difference from Fibery here is you create your DB anywhere you want and it lives in the hierarchy, but can be instantiated anywhere else, including embedding into any other page.

Now, you can do like in Fibery and just create a page anywhere in the hierarchy and make it into a given database view. But the nice thing in Notion that helps keep the main nav cleaner and makes it faster to do things is that you can create and select between any of the above 6 types of of views on a single DB “view”. And you can create as many of each type of view as you want and name them. Then simply select between them from a single, er, “view”, a single page in the hierarchy. A GIF probably illustrates this much better than trying to explain.

notion-db-views

Abd Sort and Filter options can be customized per-view, so you get a different sort/filter along with your different view if you want. Thus you could have e.g. 2 List views but with different sort/filter and switch between them super fast. That example is the general kind of thing I find it really handy for vs. Fibery’s separate views approach where I have to create an entire new left-hand nav item just to e.g. switch quickly between two filter or sort setups.

In ClickUp you have something of the opposite problem. What can be represented in the left-hand hierarchical navigation is a bit limited, but there is a whole set of top tabbed navigation for lots of things, some of which I think is useful, some of which just becomes confusing IMO. But the flexibility is nice.

Bottom line is I really like the ability to combine left-hand nav and right-hand nav options to make each one simpler and more focused on its particular area of functionality. I think of left-hand nav as “gross” (or top-level) navigation while right-hand stuff is more specific to the currently open entity/doc/database/whatever.

2 Likes