[✔️FIXED] Two weird search dialogue keyboard behaviours

Upon testing purely keyboard shortcuts I found these two.

1. When creating a new entity in text editor, you can’t use tab to enter the type search field.

2. In the global search, if you use Shift (seem to be shift only?) to write an uppercase character, you can no longer use the arrow down to sift through the filtered types list. I tested it about 10 times, and there was 1 case where it did work even after writing uppercase character.

2 Likes

Hey @Haslien yes great! I have noticed this too and it impedes some of what @Oshyan just brought up here in clarifying that you can almost ( my take on it ) create inline like in Roam/Notion, without leaving the keyboard:

I have found myself hitting “tab” everytime I’m In that dialogue hoping to move around over to that logo of “create” that shows with the “return” Icon:

Thanks for bring this up and perhaps we can solve this with a bit more of the keyboard movement in this modal tweaked!

Would love to get a response on this one Team and @mdubakov, as well as @Oshyan’s related request here:

These are big parts to Quality of Life for those of us using Fibery extensively, and it would be great to hear back from the team at least in one of these and related requests what you guys think! Unfortunately haven’t seen much of any response around these type of posts in a while, hope you are actually reading them!

@Haslien I discovered another funny behavior that also forces you back to the mouse:

If I have more than one option in the filtered types list that generates as I type names of Types, I can slide over to the keyboard and move around in the list with the arrow key. *But if there is only one option, I can’t!

Hoping to get these fixed soon!

1 Like
  1. This is fixed
  2. I’ve added a new bug from it, going to fix it soon. Weird problem to be honest :slight_smile:

This is fixed, if you have one option it is active by default so you can just push Enter

1 Like

Second bug is fixed today as well

1 Like

This is terrific Michael, I have been enjoying creating, and then editing, new entities without ever using the keyboard.

Thanks for taking care of a very useful Quality of Life need so quickly!

1 Like

Michael, as a follow on, could you guys look at making this work when you create inline? As far as I can tell, when I type “#” and then write out a new Entity, in the Search Dialog, I can’t tab around and use the keyboard to select the Type, then move back and hit “return” to close out and finalize. @Haslien would this be useful to you as well as the originator of this request?

Thanks!

Hey @mdubakov wanted to ask you about this again: Upon closer inspection, I think @Haslien is referring to the problem I’m speaking of, that you can’t move via Tab to select a type when creating inline. You can do that when creating a new entity from the Search / “ctrl” + K dialog. But if you look closely, Halisen is talking about inline creation, the same issue I’m having:

So could you clarify as this is marked as this post is marked as “fixed,” but in reality you can’t use “tab” to select the Type when creating inline.

Thanks and @Haslien would love to get your take as well!

Correct, that is what I meant. Seems to be fixed now, at least for me.

Thanks for the response.

So you’re saying, just to make sure I 100% follow, that when creating inline, you can now tab across that dialog that shows up, then use the arrow keys to select the Entity type you want to create, click “enter” to make that selection, then “shift” + “Tab” to make it back to the “To create…” dialog where you can then click “enter” again and create a new entity?

I can do that whole procedure above on the “ctrl” + “K” search dialogue when writing the name of a non-existent entity to create it from scratch, and it’s a great help. But I cannot do this when creating inline. I am using Chrome or Safari on a Mac Platform.

Thanks and would love to hear from @mdubakov or @Polina_Zenevich if this is indeed supposed to work in inline, if so perhaps the problem is on my end…

Hi guys!
In fact, that is not a bug (bug has been fixed), but an improvement, we added to the backlog.
Thanks for the attentiveness! :hugs:

1 Like

Ok great Polina thanks for the clarification, good to know there is a chance then of this getting fixed via your feature backlog. I could really use it create many, many entities daily inline, it’s a great feature and will work even faster if I don’t have to reach for the mouse!

Wanted to resurface this with a tag to you my friend @Oshyan, as this issue remains a continued, pretty large, quality of life issue with Fibery. Oshyan in another thread made this great comment and request for an update:

Since there was no response, I’d like to revive this by saying:

• Can we mark this as “not done” so it can get some votes, especially as you guys were so generous to open wide the total votes available (thanks @mdubakov!)

• Could you provide guidance if we should just set up a brand new request. Specifically, what I can do when creating a new entity exclusively with the keyboard via the “cmd” + “K” dialog, is not available when doing so with after typing “#” and starting to write the name of a new entity inline. Very specifically, when typing the name of the new entity in the “cmd” + “K” search dialog, after you have done typing the name of the entity, you hit “tab” and you move to the “filter for types” area, where you can then type the name of a type, select with the cursor, hit “shift” + “Tab” and then be offered the ability to create the entity. All without leaving the keyboard!

In the inline experience after typing “#,” you type the name of the entity, but then pressing tab does nothing. So you can not complete the entity creation without reaching for the mouse.

Hoping to hear from you on this, thanks!

1 Like