Editing Rich Text destroys inline comments

• I created a Checklist [] in a Rich Text, and added an inline comment on some text; the comment contained an @mention.
  • I wanted to change my text (with inline comment) from a Checklist to an H3.
  • Ctrl+Alt+3 does not work to convert the Checklist line to an H3.
  • so I backspaced over the checkbox at the beginning of the line containing the inline comment.
  • The inline comment disappeared when the line changed to a normal paragraph.
  • Undo (Ctrl+z) did not bring back the missing comment.
  • Restoring from the Rich Text History also did not bring back the comment.

More Rich Text Weirdness:

• On a normal-paragraph line that begins with an @mention
    Converting the line to an H4 by typing #### at the beginning results in the @mention being duplicated.
  • When I try to Undo that change with Ctrl+Z, it only undoes two # characters; Additional presses of Ctrl+Z result in a popup menu that flashes and immediately disappears, and the remaining two ## do not get deleted.
2 Likes

This would be useful. Being able to track old and resolved comments in the history might be a good starting point.

Hi!
Many thanks for the report, confirm that is a bug :pray:

I just had a data loss issue which I was only able to partially recover from involving a Bullet List with Comments on several of the items. This occurred a the Rich Text field of an Entity. I wanted to convert the Bullet List to a Check List, so I highlighted them all and made the change, which immediately removed all Comments. Only some were visible afterward in the Comments Sidebar, for some reason. Even using Ctrl-Z to undo I did not get the Comments back! I then used the Rich Text History to recover the previous state which did restore the comments, but lost 1-2 comments updates I had made in the meantime (this is expected, the version I restored to was from the previous day and a new version had not been made between my updates today and the conversion to a Check List).

While this is only something I want to do occasionally, it should definitely not result in data loss. In the ideal outcome a conversion between List Types would not lose Comments at all. If this is not possible then at least Ctrl-Z should fully Undo the change and restore Comments.

1 Like

I have noted elsewhere that in a Rich Text, Undo does not restore Comments :confused:

1 Like

Sounds like mine is basically a duplicate of yours then, yes? Perhaps they can be merged by @Chr1sG or another admin.

Deeply unfortunate that this has not been resolved in 9 months though… :disappointed:

1 Like