Anytype — Interesting app concept for PKM and teamwork

I find anytype quite interesting as to me it is the closest any of these types of no/low-code tools have come to a true graph/tripplestore. But I agree that by simplifying the model to everything being objects and relations they have created a lot more complexity. I am hoping that a happy medium would be achieved in fibery, more akin to a property graph (per various request like Relationship properties).

As @Chr1sG said, I think entities should have attributes which are basic primitive types (as fibery does currently). However, I think having an ability to actually define/contextualize the nature of relations between objects is something that is sorely missing. For example, being able to relate people/contacts in a CRM app to each other and defining their relationships (e.g. coworkers, introduced by, …) without having to create many relation fields or defining these a priori is quite important. The ability to also add one-off relations without having those become permanent parts of the schema is also something that should be adopted from anytype as it would simplify the UI quite a bit (i.e. reduce number of fields, tabs, windows, etc).

I also think that at some point, it may be necessary to “spin off” entity attributes into standalone entities/types when some nuances or complexity needs to be captured (e.g. what seems like an inherent property might be more fluid than originally thought). I don’t think any existing tools provide this ability (you always seem to have to create a new field and copy things) but I think it really helps with reducing complexity when designing systems up front as you do not have to consider every possible case and accommodate them. One of the areas where this comes up for me frequently is actually the name/appellation of things. Names can change or the same thing could be called by many different names. Being able to capture and retain this in any knowledge system is absolutely critical in order to prevent duplications and having records that are out of sync. You can achieve this by making notes in text areas and using search but you end up losing context, consistency and an ability to actually do some analysis in the future.

One final note with respect to dates: I actually do think that having a relation between entities/objects and dates can be quite useful when you would like to understand historic context. Imagine being able to see all the occurrences/events that coincided with each other. I think as you add more content to the system, this will become more and more interesting.

2 Likes