I have discovered a bug in the “Edit relationship” view. I have previously set “Always require a value” on, and have selected the Default Entity it should pick when a new Entity is created. However, after saving it, I cannot update the value to another default value anymore. The option to select a Default option is gone after I have saved and return to the page.
In the screenshot below you can see the “Always require a value” is on, but the select field for the Default entity is gone.
This is not a bug per se, but instead unclear user communication.
When you set it to required, it asks you about the values to set for entities which have this field empty at that moment, not sure the default value for future entities.
If it has actually been adding by default, it is probably not from this setting, and from an automation or a filter somewhere.
I agree it’s unclear, especially since is also asks this when all entities actually have a value present (so it doesn’t matter what you pick there, it won’t make a difference).
Better communication would be more similar to “Unique values”. Along the lines of: “[ X ] entities have empty [field], what should their values be?”
Yes, there is a distinction between ‘Default value’ (for all yet-to-be-created entities) and the value to be used for entities which currently have no value, when setting the field as required.
Ah, now I understand. It is for updating existing values and not setting a default value. For that I may need an automation indeed. Thank you for your quick reply @Chr1sG and @RonMakesSystems .