Admin Determines Column Width (Table View)

Hi there! If any user tries to adjust the column width in the table view to help the members navigate it better, it is not reflected on another user’s end.

I hope whenever an admin user adjusts the column width, that it shows up the same for all users.

Use Case:

• A number field column doesn’t need to be wide. But if the field name consists of several words (e.g. Expected # of Attendees), then the number field column becomes wider than we it want to be. So as an admin, I will make that one-time adjustment so that other users (particularly new users) will benefit from it and they don’t have to do it themselves.

Does that imply that you want an admin user’s column width preferences to override all other users’ preferences?
What is the expected behaviour if a non-admin user wants to be able to see the full title of the column?

1 Like

Does that imply that you want an admin user’s column width preferences to override all other users’ preferences?

Yes sir!

Or by default, yes. Then the user can just adjust moving forward.

When I checked how the table looks like from another user, most columns were wider than they needed to be.

What is the expected behaviour if a non-admin user wants to be able to see the full title of the column?

1. They can hover over the column title to see the full title (just like in Airtable)
    AND/OR
  2. The admin can adjust the row/table header height to accommodate the full title (just like in Coda)

That’s interesting.
As far as I can recall, Airtable implements that any changes to a shared view (by anyone) are reflected for all other users of that view, and I find it really annoying that other people can change how the data is presented when I view it!
But then again, Airtable also supports that views can be made personal (and thus not viewable by others) which sort of solves this.

I guess Fibery could be said to have implemented a hybrid approach in that views are pretty much universally shared, but some features (e.g. column visibility) is controlled exclusively by admins/creators and other features (e.g. column width) are completely personal.

I imagine that there could be lots of variations in preferred behaviour across all the different Fibery customers.

1 Like

Yeah, ClickUp - like Airtable - has both “global” and “personal” views and I think ideally both should exist in Fibery too. Let the admin set the defaults, and when they update the defaults, prompt the user to update to the changes I guess (ideally in as least-destructive a way as possible, e.g. if user has set personal column widths and a new Field is added, existing column widths remain and only new column and width is added). It’s probably complicated to handle all this, but either scenario - centrally managed, or entirely personal views - can be problematic and frustrating depending on the situation.

2 Likes