Workflow Extension Enhancements for Advanced Dev Teams

I think this proposal is quite important for users with more complex workflows so I thought it is worth a bump for others to consider (unfortunately I’ve ran out of votes).

I also wanted to add something this is related and hopefully a bit easier to implement. If we think it deserves its own separate thread, I’m happy to move it.

I like the current state extension and find the UI and icons to be quite intuitive. However, I think @Dimitri_S excellent suggestion on providing some additional state super-types other than “final” would really enhance things:

@Polina_Zenevich suggested using “Final” for cancelled/rejected/closed states which technically works. But from a semantic and UI perspective, it might be better if you could mark these state conditions more consistently (i.e. these situations would be shown with an :x: rather than a :heavy_check_mark:).

I don’t think the “final” state suggestion works for moving things into a backlog. Having backlog as the first state is a possible fix, but that messes with the progress “pie-chart” for rest of states which are truly the first steps in a workflow (e.g. Intake, Proposal, etc.). So it would be amazing to have a backlog as another state type with its own logo (e.g. :hourglass:)

To sum up, per @Dimitri_S proposal, I think three super-states should capture most situation:

• :hourglass: Backlog: items that are backlogged or otherwise delayed and no immediate action is going to be taken
  • :x: Closed: items that are rejected, cancelled or no longer active/closed
  • :heavy_check_mark: Final: items that are complete

I know that you can chose your own icons and colours for each state. But I think that actually becomes confusing as the extension icons also appear. I also don’t want to do away with the progress icons because I prefer Fibery figuring out the steps in between rather than trying to find emoji’s for each step.

1 Like