Sidebar badges: unread-style counters on Views and Custom Apps

Problem
Things that need my action live all over the workspace: approvals, time-off requests, invoices to review, tasks assigned to me. The only way to find them is to click through views one by one. The sidebar is the map of my workspace, but it doesn’t tell me where I’m needed.

Proposal
Let any sidebar item (a View or a Custom App) show a badge, like unread counters in Slack or mail folders:

  • Counter: the number of entities that match the view’s filter. Example: Approvals where Approver = Me and Status = Pending → 3
  • Red dot: a “needs attention” marker with no number
  • Shown only when the count is above 0, and calculated per user, so “Me” filters work
  • Optional roll-up to a collapsed parent: Finance · 3

Settings per view
Badge: Off / Count / Dot. Source: the view’s own filter or a separate badge filter. It’s opt-in, so views that don’t need a badge add no extra load.

Custom Apps
A simple API so an app can set its own badge, e.g. fibery.setBadge(5) or fibery.setBadge('dot').

Why
Open Fibery, glance at the sidebar, go straight to what needs action. Fewer clicks, nothing slips through, and I don’t have to turn every item into an Inbox notification.

Related, narrower request: View entity counter in sidebar

Do you make use of the Fibery home page? I would imagine widgets for this purpose could be quite effective at helping you focus on where you need to give your attention.

Yes, I use the home page, but it’s not quite the same thing.

Most tools I work in every day (Slack, ChatGPT, Claude) are built around a persistent sidebar, and Slack shows how well dots and counters work there: you see where your attention is needed without opening anything. That feels much more native than going to a separate page that collects all the views and scanning it.

With many spaces and processes, the home page becomes one more dashboard to check. A dot or a counter in the sidebar is visible wherever I am in Fibery and points straight to the view that needs me. And each view carries its own signal, so there’s no widget to build and maintain for every case.