Users are not developers. They do not have the time or patience to create their own custom layouts.
All I want is for the ability of architects to create a universal static layout OR to create layout templates which they can apply wholesale to users and/or groups.
I tried getting around this current limitation by adding an App View to the Users table, but then each user can see each other users’ apps, and with how visibility rules work, I can’t say “hide this tab if the selected user is not me” since “me” is not an available function.
If anyone can suggest a way that I can set up a tailored experience as the architect, it would be appreciated.
Can you clarify what you mean by this. Did you create a custom app (view) in the sidebar? Or do you mean something else?
Custom apps are user-aware, so it should be possible to make something which doesn’t show irrelevant items.
I will admit that now that we have custom apps, the dashboard feature is clunkier/more outdated.
I still believe that the dashboards (and Home) can be and should be more powerful than custom apps, given that they have real time changes, and users who know how to leverge Fibery views is better for adoption. But at the moment, I prefer to use custom apps because the design flexible. That said,
I haven’t been able to test this well since I don’t have other full-time employees but you can configure custom apps to filter data based on a user field. Have you tried a custom app as a Home page and using code to filter what is visible for users based on user relations or user groups?
Group X has access to Space A, Group Y doesn’t but can see Space B.
For X, they need Foo + Bar + Baz functions.
This could be resolved by a custom app, but how do I prevent it from showing the wrong functionality and views? That seems like a lot of manual upkeep which circumvents the current access control system and works in parallel.
Home doesn’t solve this problem in the slightest, nor does a top-level app to replace it.
It has been asked before for standalone buttons to exist on a dashboard, but buttons are context-aware and not global (so they can’t exist at a top level).
Forms are another issue. It’s a major part of X’s workflow to fill out a handful of forms. Y don’t need to, but aren’t prevented from submitting the form on occasion.
“But just use the personal workspace” is not a solution. I want to set up strict workflows to prevent any one person from screwing up. I do not want to spend a week remote desktopping into other users’ accounts and configuring their personal dashboards manually.