[DONE] Request: đź“Ź Full-Width Documents + Columns

+1 For the ability to make documents full-width (optional, like notion). (Span across the page from left to right) and columns.

Currently, everything is clipped at what seems to be standard size box/letter sizing.

More width and columns means better doc organization and usability.

1 Like

I agree this would be a nice option to have. Reading width on a 4k screen can be a bit much, but the current width is certainly too narrow for all purposes.

1 Like

This point guys @Oshyan @Illusory is one of the reasons I currently prefer using an Entity over a Doc. With the “Writer Mode” in an Entity, you can expand across the full screen’s width and write in it, very “doc like” I’ve found.

But in a Doc itself as you note, you get truncated about 1/2 way across the screen.

I assume you both may be aware of the Writer Mode capability, and this doesn’t solve some of the other reasons Docs work better as their own Entity, vs. using an Entity for a Doc, as we discussed here:

But until Docs get expanded, this is definitely an annoyance when trying to use them for bonafide Documentation, specifications-writing, etc.

By the way there is another mention of this request but I can’t find it very easily now. Have to add that if we had a Voting Board, I’m sure the request would be visible front and center and have gathered a range of votes as I’m sure a lot of users could use this!

Cheers.

1 Like

Here is one more mention of this need:

1 Like

Hi all!
Thanks for your requests!
We have that in the backlog and plan to implement it once we will be back to Documents improvement :muscle:

2 Likes

Current width follow the rule of 60–110 characters per line for optimal readability. Remember that with abilities comes responsibility.

So guys: remember to not make long lines of text if the Fibery team were to make it full-width in the future. I see a lot of people do this places where it’s possible and it breaks my typography lovin’ heart (and reading flow) :frowning:

I am not opposed to this, would be nice for images and whatnot, since they are also bound by this limit and therefore occupy that space unnecessarily.

1 Like

That’s why I said “optional”.

2 Likes

Yes, just to reiterate exactly what you said at the start:

I make great use of this in Notion and at times I do want the doc full width, I use the “Reader View” all the time (if the Fibery team is logging that they will see many times daily!). So can’t agree more, it would be great to have the option. And actually Notion is not the only player that does this, ClickUp has added it of late, you can do it in Coda, etc.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ll also point out that I personally still really hope Fibery will add more sophisticated block-oriented “doc” creation, with columns and the ability to Embed Views in Rich Text (imagine if every rich text field could do all this). If/when column layout is available, full-width documents would be even more valuable/important.

2 Likes

Those that make use of the option.

Hi all!
Full-width documents were released today :sparkling_heart:

1 Like