Customizable Entity View. Shown Fields per User

1 sentence request: Show/hide fields state in an entity view (for a specific database) per user
(I say specific database because I expect the hidden fields settings to apply to all entities in the same database just like it is now, no craziness about unique settings per unique entity)

I created a draft of a solution for a company in my free plan. I have a Contracts database that links to Operations orders and Invoices (just an example, in the future could link to many other databases).

The problem I ran into is thinking about deploying this to multiple users, Operations department will not care about the invoices, and Finance will not care about Operations orders. And in the future HR could care about employees assigned to this contract but not Operations orders or invoices.

And most likely it is not a case of not caring, they probably should not be able to see it :sweat_smile:. (In this case, database permissions should fix it?)

The possible solution is that every user can have their own unique set of selected fields in the show/hidden fields panel.

It is v unlikely that field-level permissions will be implemented any time soon (if ever) but your case would indeed seem to be largely covered by the existing permissions model - you can choose which databases (and now, which entities) any given user can see, so your ops people can be configured to not see the Finance db, your finance people can be configured to not see Operations db, and so on.

In terms of general configuration of which fields are shown and where, then potentially this is a relevant topic:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I understand your point and I would like to clarify my question with an example.
Maybe this is already implemented, but I haven’t tried to do it with many users.

The example:
I (as a Finance person) enter a Contract and I hide the Operations relations field, because I have access to that database but I don’t want to see it.

The question:
Will this mean that a person (from Operations for example) that enters a Contract will get the Operations relations hidden?

Are these toggles of hide/show managed per user?
- If Yes: then this is already a feature and this topic should be on “Get Help” (sorry)
- If No: then a user showing/hiding fields in a database impacts all users and this is definitely a required feature!

This feature doesn’t seem that difficult to implement (?). From your answer, I understand that my question was interpreted as field-level permissions and that certain users should not be able to even see certain fields, I only meant that the “state” of the toggle should be managed per user, not the ability to even see the toggle, that’s why I wanted to clarify.

Thanks for the clarification.
As it stands, users with ‘creator’ level access for a database can determine which fields are visible/hidden on entity view, and their choice will be applied for each user.

So the answer to your question is no, the state of the toggles is not per user but is the same for all users.

The ability to vary the entity view according to who is looking at it (per role or per user) is a potentially valuable feature for some users, but is unfortunately not something being actively worked on at the moment.

2 Likes

The ability for Creator and above users to set the Default toggle state, but for individual users to change it (regardless of user level) and to persist those changes for them alone would be really nice IMO. I know of several other sites that do this and they just do it with cookies or local browser storage AFAIK (which does mean it reverts if the user uses a different browser or clears local storage). I don’t know how difficult it would be to implement, but I would hope it’s simpler (if “hackier” in a way) than per-role/per-user views in full.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’d support allowing users to override a Creator’s choice if that choice is to hide the field - some Creators do that deliberately to limit what other users can see.
I guess the other way around (non-Creators can choose to hide stuff that a Creator had set to show by default) would be low risk.
Overall, we need to think about the best solution for all use cases related to configuration of entity view.

2 Likes

To clarify, I did not mean that all users could hide/unhide fields, rather that they could collapse/expand fields (“toggle”) and it would persist for them, rather than the admin/creator setting the state. It doesn’t fully address the original request here, but it has potential utility and - I hoped - a lower cost of dev time.

2 Likes

Gotcha. When you wrote ‘toggle’ I assumed you meant the slide switches for show/hide (as shown in @SantiagoAGRs screenshot).

1 Like

I’d think the overall pattern should be—maybe is, but it’s not clear to me:

1. Admins can define the basic setup for all, what fields to show, which order to sort data, etc
  2. Users can override the order or hide additional things for themselves
  3. Users can change the display for a particular entity/document/page

To me, there are a lot of places where this applies:

1. Fields and data with entities
  2. Table and other views: columns, filters, sorting, etc.
  3. References to other entities (as they can be customised)

Probably some other places still :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!

1 Like

So you’d want configuration per user and per item?
:grimacing:

2 Likes

Ideally, in the long term yes! :slightly_smiling_face:

Because for example in a roadmap document I may want to see priority, complexity and status while in another document I may want to just see status.

Same as views and their sort and filter should have a default but then, based on where I embed them, should be possible to tweak/override.

But I understand that that is a long-term goal.

Being able to change the arrangement of fields inside entity view and have personalized filters per user (like you see in many other productivity apps) would be cool as well. If Fibery’s goal is to connect all processes in a company, one size fits all will probably have a limit.

I still think that the low-hanging fruit here is to let the user choose what to show or hide without overriding admin settings.

I’ve seen the video of @mdubakov where he shows how Fibery uses Fibery, and you guys had multiple databases interconnected.

For those databases with 7+ relations, without having this feature, I don’t know how your entity views are even usable/friendly for specific users at that point to be honest :sweat_smile: (gotta love that scroll wheel!).

I guess a good use of db colors can guide the user to what he should look at, I’ll make the best of it for my clients for now. Don’t want to sound like I just want to complain, just providing ideas, I really enjoy Fibery, thank you!

1 Like