Can't export rich text fields from table view

Hi: I’ve got a simple project management app built and working great: including generating weekly status reports (a key requirement); I’m doing this via a table view, with filters set to only show “DONE” state tasks with an (automated) DONE date within a given range: this works great BUT when I export it, I only have a CSV option, and it excludes rich text fields: thus I cannot use the Details field to hold my notes on each task: instead I had to create a new Text field, and squeeze all most notes into that; it works, but is very awkward: and also means that 90% of the space on my task item (the Details rich text field, in full edit view) is unusable. Is there a way to export (selected) fields of an item including rich text fields? Either CSV or (preferably) JSON would be great. I had expected to see a JSON export option actually, but surprising I do not.

Or if anyone can suggest a different (non-table view) way to build a weekly report (with selected fields including rich text fields) that I can export, that would be great too.

[Update: moved to “Get Help”]

Thanks!

Mike

Hi, Mike!
Have a question (although your question is very detailed, thanks for that!)
Why are you exporting this stuff? Where would this JSON go to? Surely it’s not for humans to read :slight_smile:

Maybe we’ll find another way to help you, cos for now I can only suggest you program a Button or write a script via public API. Most certainly, it’s not the best way :sweat_smile:

My actual goal is to export a list of tasks completed during a given week (state==“DONE” & [Done Date] within a specific date range), to send to my CFO: it’s a regulatory requirement. On reflection, I’d ideally like it to be a CSV, because then I can send it as a spreadsheet, so it’s both machine-readable and human-readable. JSON would be ok too, but our CFO probably wouldn’t find it easy to read. I can already export the desired tasks, but the only missing piece is that the export doesn’t include any rich text fields: and so I’m forced to put all my updates in a regular text field (so that they will export): which is very cramped and poorly formatted for that use case.

1 Like

Does your CFO need to manipulate the data further?
What is the ideal ‘final’ format?

He has to aggregate weekly status reports from all of us and make them available to our CEO/board. I’m building this app (to track progress + generate weekly status reports) to make my life easier, and also hoping to share it (as template) with other team members. It’s quite possible it will then be adopted as a corporate platform (in which case I’m hoping that it’ll be easy to adapt to multiple users!), but for now it’s meant as a standalone app (per user). The ideal final format (IMHO) is Excel, but CSV is a perfect jumping-off point for that.