Adjustable column width for kanbans

Hi! Almost 60% of the screen is dead.
Uselessly occupying elements I don’t need.
I need the “Done” column small just to drag and drop a task there.
I don’t need the “New State” column at all ( why can’t I hide it like the others? ):

Do you really need Board for just two states? Maybe a basic list will do a better job here

1 Like

I’m not sure if “adjustable column width” is needed, or some small refinements would do.

But first, @Mikhail, do you know that clicking on a column will collapse it?

Here’s the improvements I’d suggest:

1. Hide the “+new state” or move it from there
  2. Give columns a max width (yeah, that won’t solve OP’s problem)
  3. Make the collapsing of a column also visible in the context menu
  4. A collapsed column should not affect the row height
1 Like

Добрый день! Я бы хотел чтобы разбивка была по секциям. Не нашел это в List view. Кроме этого, этот вид у меня имеет еще этапы, я их скрыл именно для этого workflow. И еще важный момент - я хотел разбить экран на две колонки- слева канбан, справа - график. Но размеры мертвой зоны не позволяло (нечитабельные (обрезались) задачи были). Теперь намного лучше, но задачи тоже обрезаны:

В целом, как мне кажется, ширина колонок довольно важная вещь для гибкости канбана, т.к. очень часто надо подстроить колонки под задачи этой колонки (речь не про колонки в виде статусов задач), т.к. в fibery реализована гибкая возможность колонки разбивать по разным сущностям + делить на несколько канбанов в одном окне. Это очень круто и удобно! Почему не доделать тогда возможность изменять ширину и скрывать этот “New State”. “New State” можно и из меню сделать например - им вообще редко пользуешься или только в начале.

В идеале конечно, если еще была бы отдельно фильтрация каждой колонки и отдельно настраиваемое представление каждой колонки. Например, в Planfix это реализовано.

Пример: одна колонка - это просто текст без картинок, тегов и прочего, вторая колонка - в виде только одной картинки, третья - это комбинация 1+2 колонки + теги. Ширина каждой колонки подстраивается. Т.к. бывает что на каждом этапе важно видеть свою информацию.

I would like the breakdown to be by section. I couldn’t find it in List view.
Besides this view I have more stages, I have hidden them just for this workflow.

Yeah, I’ve hidden a few unnecessary statuses in this kanban.

1 Like

Just FYI, there is a difference between hiding and collapsing a column.

With a collapsed column, you can still drag items into it, but it takes up little space.

1 Like

@Mikhail - hi there! I understand like a part of the improvement would already be being able to hide the “no state” category, right?

Just curious, why did you choose fibery over other solutions and what features do you like most and look forward to most?

For me, I like the fact that tables are the basis, the humour and good vibes of the team and just the consistent high rate of development. And nice that you can give feedback and actually get listened to, right? :wink:

1 Like

That is already possible, or did I misunderstand what you were getting at.

1 Like

Oh it was me who misread Mikhail, he says that the New State button uses lots of space, perhaps that can be collapsed? Don’t know what is wise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, checked it out, it’s great! I’ll use it from now on!!! Thank you so much!

The dead zone is much smaller now - it is possible to split into columns.

On the fly:

• Because I can link bases (entities) the way I want - most importantly
  • works fast
  • good reports
  • timeline allows to place several records on one line
  • kanban allows to split itself into rows/sections
  • automation is available and does not glitch
  • free plan allows to evaluate the functionality well
  • there is the community and it is alive
  • development pace and development results
    etc. quite a lot of “small” reasons.

Overall, I am already very satisfied.

In general: I have my own developed principles of work to which I am used to and the only thing I am looking for is a system which functionality allows to implement these principles maximally and conveniently and which interface allows to work conveniently.

true. It must be hard otherwise to take the lead right now.

true. I just really hope that my tiny bit of feedback will make the product better.
The product is anyway made for the majority of the target audience.
We’ll see if I get into it.

1 Like

How can I hide “New State” ?

You mean “New State”? Yeah, of course it’ll get better.

1 Like

It would be so cool if “New State” could be hidden!!!
About 15% of the dead screen left)) Almost perfect!

Sorry. Can’t hide +New state, can only hide No state

true. I just really hope that my tiny bit of feedback will make the product better.
The product is anyway made for the majority of the target audience.
We’ll see if I get into it.

Nice! :slight_smile: Also doing that myself! :facepunch:

• Because I can link bases (entities) the way I want - most importantly
  • works fast
  • good reports
  • timeline allows to place several records on one line
  • kanban allows to split itself into rows/sections
  • automation is available and does not glitch
  • free plan allows to evaluate the functionality well
  • there is the community and it is alive
  • development pace and development results
    etc. quite a lot of “small” reasons.

Good list of arguments thanks for sharing!

In general: I have my own developed principles of work to which I am used to and the only thing I am looking for is a system which functionality allows to implement these principles maximally and conveniently and which interface allows to work conveniently.

That is a good framework to have for yourself. Now that I am working more and more in/with IT I also find myself having to choose tools a lot, and yes I am also learning to see which features are really important to me and which are less important. Which qualities are important? It’s like learning to taste wine :sweat_smile:

For me also the forms are very nice it’s one of the most useful things for my use cases.

1 Like

The Procrastination Trap. It is very important to make up your mind on this issue and stop jumping here and there, otherwise you will fall into this trap.

Personally, I’ve been building up over 5 years and I’m not going to change it in the next 5 years for sure. There is no point. FULLY satisfied with the principles and results.

For the last 8-10 years I’ve only moved a few times from ClickUp to Coda and back. Before that, I was using Todoist. If my system can’t be rolled out - I don’t need SaaS like that.

Yeah, it’s definitely THE trap.
The trap is that the brain enjoys going through the tools, not the results of using them.

I think it’s more important to decide what exactly you need ( e.g. FGPT) and how it should look like, and then to choose an SaaS/quality/feature for these tasks.

I personally have come up with a simple approach - FGPT (Focus area → Goal → Project → Task)
FGPT is the center of my system. For me it is extremely important to follow the system, the consistency of actions.

I have fallen deeply and long in this trap! Good advice! Since a month or so I have started to solve this, it’s better to choose a path that is good enough (and move from there) than to keep looking. I am a person of many ideas but I am slowly becoming more of a person of action, you know action is actually rewarding.

Well if I would imagine where I am in 5 years I would also not want to change a good path if I’d invested in it. Especially if you landed here. Glad that you are fully satisfied and more goodness is expected, right? :wink:

Well put. I am visiting a friend in Germany for a few days and we are both thinkers/dreamers. It’s interesting to speak about this and I notice that I do like to philosophize but I do want results. I think a desire for that can be found, perhaps not from the brain/mind but from the heart? I don’t know haha

Interest! I like your FGPT framework. Sounds close to my need but I will give that some thought. I agree that you should first determine your needs and then choose the technology. So often we do it the other way around! But for me the flexibility of Fibery is great.

That said one thing I love about Todoist (which I used before) was how user friendly it was and how powerful without too much complexity… for example how you could input tasks. Fibery is way more complex and you first need to build something. I believe that you are totally right when you have decided (and built it)… and when it is fine that you should stick!

Interesting conversation!

1 Like