Replace All References (or convert to type?)

In some cases I’ve created something as the wrong type but didn’t realise why for a while, after having referenced it in a few places.

One solution here would be to create the entity as the correct type, and then manually replace all references to it. A bit painful. Would it be possible to click on a type and say “replace all references” with another entity?

I know that converting to another type is a bit more complex, since if the fields don’t match up or there are relations with it, that would be tough. But could be another solution even if lossy. My assumption is that replacing references is easier.

I have also had a frequent need to convert Types, as discussed here:

I’ve responded to myself 4x so you can see this is something I could really use!

If your request here for Replacing all References is an easier way to get this done, that’s great. Either way hoping we can get this shortly…

Yeah @B_Sp I do think that would be a cool feature for sure!

Thinking more about references themselves:

• In some cases I’ve realised not only was the initial type the wrong choice, but I’d now rather start over with the correct type’s fields than try to do an auto-merge. Here replacing references is probably the most awkward part of the transition even if doing it all manually is right
  • Replacing references works in non-entity contexts: if I have decided a table shouldn’t exist any longer, and only the board view for example, I may want to replace links to the table with links to the board.
  • Or maybe a document is now more suitably an entity or vice-versa: then we’d still want to reference the new thing

For these reasons (and because replacing references should hopefully be much lighter weight!) I’d like to see this as a standalone feature too as well as hopefully a type mover!

It sounds like what you’re asking for, most generally speaking, is a way to find all references to one thing, and replace them with something else (generally a reference to a different thing)? I wonder if this could be rolled into a general search-and-replace function, with the replacement of link to one entity for another just being a special case of that. None of these tools have search+replace as far as I know, and it could be super beneficial…