[DONE] View descriptions

Would be nice an optional rich text description that will appear just below the view name. On my views in Coda and Notion I always add some extra info or instructions about the view, it also helps with context for new team members. Since Fibery views are not inserted inside documents, I think a rich text description would be very handy.

Also, maybe show the Icons we set for selects and workflows in Rows and Columns :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jean, interesting I just posted this too!

with particular reference to Notion in fact! So I second wholeheartedly!!

What do you think about my suggestion of also adding that detail to the columns and rows? I think this would provide great Sprint Boards in particular, if you could see the entire feature details that’s being worked on - ala Azure Boards, Pipefy, Jira, in particular of course TargetProcess.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been using ClickUp recently for a consulting job, and they make heavy use of “List” descriptions that show at the top of list views. It has made me realize how handy it is, at least in theory (I say that because I don’t know how much any of the internal staff read these anymore :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). So I just voted for this (because I’m hoping to move them to Fibery over time).

Here’s an example of what this looks like from ClickUp:

1 Like

I agree that being able to introduce users to a view with some background info is useful.
Sometimes, I feel it’s useful to be able to have several views grouped together with an overall description, so I wonder if this need might just as well be solved with the ability to embed views in documents? With that, you could have a description followed by (or interleaved with) any number of views.
I recognise that this method introduces a bit more friction (create document, add text, embed view) compared with having a dedicated area, but given the limited number of votes we have :wink: I think I’d rather use one of mine on this:

1 Like

Hah! Well, you know I support that call. Personally I do still think there is separate value in this feature request, but you’re right that given a finite number of things that can be done in a reasonable time frame, the other would be more impactful overall by far (for example it would make a big step toward Configurable Dashboards I think). I may well redistribute my votes again soon, like I did today, hah. But since I’m working with this particular client, I want to be able to minimize what they are losing in migrating. This is hopefully a small thing for them though, so it’s a fair point…

Any status about this? I miss it heavily. Notion, Clickup, Coda and others have this and it’s because is super handy. Even with limited amount of users that share publicly their environment on these tools, we can see that most “data views” (tables, kanbans, etc) are accompanied by something on top.

Some use cases for myself at least:

• give description or details about a view - handy for new users
  • give details on how to use / process/ add new data and how to maintain it. When you have many views and databases, you forget how you wanted to organize that piece of information if you’re not using it often. Creating separate documents on the sidebar for each view doesn’t work well as you/your users won’t read them when they’re getting back to work on that view and second, it bloats the sidebar.
  • use it like some sort of mini-dashboard/quick links to other stuff related to that view, either internal or external. That’s extremely useful to organize information.

I don’t know how the app is built, but from what I saw in the last year, it shouldn’t be hard to add an expandable rich text field on top of the view, below title. You can keep it like it’s now for everyone and give a toggle to the rest, to show hide it, or expand/collapse it.

I know about the blocks feature, the ability to embed views inside docs, which is amazing, but this is different as most people will still use views, people won’t create a second document to embed an existing view just for that.

Personally I think this will also have a positive impact on new user adoption, especially ones looking to migrate or alternatives to existing tools.

1 Like

Your points are all valid. We are thinking how to add Description into Space and into View as well, there should be some common solution. I hope we will invent something soon

1 Like

BTW, do you need full rich text description or just basic text?

1 Like

I think rich text will be better so we can link to other related stuff on the system, like other entities or documents, or be able to stylize text in case we want to give a bit more details, especially bullet points, etc

1 Like

But in this case it can be very large, do you think it is still good to display it under View title?

1 Like

it shouldn’t be large, just have the rich field options. we should be able to expand it as we want.

1 Like

See my ClickUp example above: the description is collapsible, and should be here too. Perhaps its state can be remembered for each user or something…

1 Like