Migrate Entity View to Blocks

I know Michael addressed this, but in case there is remaining confusion, my understanding is that Blocks will be arbitrary units of content/functionality, and will not have to be consistent from entity to entity, thus they do not involve creating “fields”. They are a more “lightweight” solution than formalized Type modifications, i.e. new Fields. Perhaps that is a more direct/succinct answer to the root of your question/concern.

Think of them like blocks in Notion, simply individually manipulatable and addressable pieces of content/functionality, created ad-hoc. It seems like the primary change/improvement vs. existing Rich Text and Doc contents in Fibery will be the individual addressability and manipulation of these Blocks as whole units, rather than simple “free text”. Making them “objects” allows for greater functionality on each one (linking, commenting, reacting, transcluding), while maintaining flexibility and avoiding the complexity and “heaviness” of Fields.

I would also really love to see “in-line calculated values” like Coda and a couple other tools can do. It feels like a very natural and useful extension of the blocks concept you’re working on, and would be necessary for real parity with and ultimately improvement over the Coda examples I referenced in this other discussion:

I suppose it would/could just be another / menu function…

Take a closer look at the mockup, there is a history button on each block already. Assuming the mockup is accurate, it seems they are already planning this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes