Migrate Entity View to Blocks

you can embed Figma, just copy paste the link of the screen or group, etc.

We use it all the time when writing features specs and stories. Only downside is that while it loads everything freezes

I’ve been playing around with pages and blocks for a bit of prototyping and I have to say that figuring out nesting of blocks and being able to collapse/expand is definitely a missing piece. Given that the only way to group items currently in fibery is through headings, I don’t know how that is going to work when view blocks have to sit outside of the text blocks and have no interaction or hierarchy.

2 Likes

I cannot wait for this block party to pop off, it may prove to be the thing I need to evangelize some people at my company. If you need some alpha testers, I would like to offer myself up as tribute!

4 Likes

A new report and data analysis-oriented tool is taking the modern Notion-esque design and blocks approach to report creation, charts, etc. and it looks pretty nice. But also like something Fibery should be able to get close to once the Blocks migration is complete:

I think this is a great example of where in-line Values and Calculations could be very valuable, and a strong differentiator vs. Notion, ClickUp, and some others (Coda already has this though).

4 Likes

We experiments innos .io app .The wiki view with dash board as task report also is the need for many users of project and product managements .Every new update is made user request based block similar to wordpress , html embed and even play ground to run code via block . The user based block can help too template of one user un paid to user paid urgent need .Thus massive user base can help fast several templates more userfriendly

1 Like

Looks like Innos is dead. https://twitter.com/InnosHQ

2 Likes

Do we have any update on text blocks? It will be useful right now to update a lot of text like a definition of done on every story.

Right now, I can create an automation that will copy a text in the description of any new story created, but if I want to change it, it will need to be changed manually on every existing stories or overwrite it and erase any other text added afterward on a specific story.

Just giving some context in case there is already a workaround for this :blush:

1 Like

Not sure how blocks can help here.

To add text to all existing stories, you can create a On Schedule rule and execute it once. The rule can use Append content to Description action, for example:

How it will change with blocks?

Transclusions?

2 Likes

Yes I agree, I think what @Louis-FelixBorealys is referring to is indeed transclusion which, if I understood correctly, a part of the Block update, right?

I’m also using a lot of text in Rich Text fields that are initialized On Create (to provide user manual of sort on how to use the entity). Hence I have the same need to be able to update them, including on entities already created. I could of course mention an entity containing the manual instead but 1) Mentions in Rich Text automations are not really nice to use (you need to use the object ID, you can’t benefit from the # autocomplete and 2) it’s a lower user experience since users have to click away to see the manuel instead of just reading.

2 Likes

Exactly, I’m talking about transclusion. Videogame design and development come with a huge complexity where you have 4types of Design (game, visual, narrative, audio) that need to connect together to develop different content types (monsters, levels, NPC, towns, etc.). Transclusion of the different type of design (redacted in text blocks) referred to the stories/epic to develop would help a lot to remove chaos, trackability and updates! :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe I don’t get it, but I don’t see how transclusion will help. For every entity you have a template, but in every entity the STATE of template is unique, like if you have a list of checkboxes, some of them are checked and some not. Transclusion is a single piece of content inserted into many entities, but if you update it in a single place it will be update in all other places, so how it will help here?

1 Like

Well, I might have misunderstood what transclusion is then but from what I gathered, it’s a way to insert content as a reference. So it’s like a mention as we have today but focused on a specific portion of the entity (a single field or even a single block inside a Rich Text field).
So to give a concrete use-case, if today I want to include an explanation on how to use an entity in a field called “Workflow” for instance I have two options:

• I can include the text directly using an automation triggered by On Create. Advantages are that the user can read the manual directly, disadvantages are that if the text needs to change, it’s complex to update already created entities (mostly you have to do it manually).
  • I can mention a “Workflow” entity created elsewhere that will act as a single source of truth. Advantages are that all entities will always have the latest version of the manual, disadvantages are that 1) it adds a click to look at the manual and you need to “leave” your current entity, meaning most users won’t read it and 2) Rich Text automations that use mentions are today really cumbersome to use because you have to use the object ID instead of having the #autocomplete like everywhere else.

From what I understand transclusion can do, tomorrow I will have a Workflow entity with the manual written in a Rich Text field separated in blocks. I will be able to reference those blocks directly in the created entities and they will display the text directly. So no more click away to read the manual AND the text being a block reference, it stays up to date if the Workflow entity is updated.

Am I correct or did I misunderstood transclusion use case?

1 Like

I suspect that this is perhaps not the case for @Louis-FelixBorealys
I’m guessing he just wants a syncd text block

1 Like

Yes, here is other examples :

1. I want to show a procedure which is a condition of done for stories so I will have a text block with steps in a numbered list automatically attached in the description of stories. If, later, we want to add new steps or modify existing ones to this procedure, I’ll just have to update the block of text and it will update for each stories already there.

2. My designers write a long doc about the development of a magic spell system where each sections are divided in text blocks. One of these section talk about Runes which are the game element that you connect together to craft a spell. In an other section they explain the different elements type that a rune can be (fire, wind, earth and son on) and their effects, in an other they talk about behavior types (projectiles, AoE, Detonation, melee, etc.) They are all put next to each other so that a reader can grasp the whole of the spell system. Then, when we want to develop it, we break it into parts in form of epics. We would then attach the corresponding text block to Epic’s description so that the developers can easily refer themselves to the corresponding doc without navigating to the doc or clicking on a link. Later, if we modify or iterate on our design, we would only have to change the text in the long doc and the changes will be applied everywhere it has been copied.

3. Last example was for a system, but same thing happen for the design of content. We have a monster which is part of a region, which is part of a biome (forest, mountain, etc.). There is a text block that describe the biome in an entity, another for the region in an other entity and they are both linked by a relation. When we create a design entity for a monster, it would be great to copy the text block that describe the biome, then the region in the monster description so that designers have all the context when they design the monster. And again, if we change the former text blocks, it will show in the entities of any further monsters that are gonna be part of those biomes/regions.

1 Like

Is this functionality going to be released any time soon? It’s been the main reason for me to keep using Coda and Notion

3 Likes

We are working on a new technical approach now. You can already insert Views into Documents. What use cases you miss most?