[DONE] GPT3 implementation in Fibery (share your ideas and cases)

Interesting, Notion just announced a clearly GPT-3 based (or at least very GPT-3 like) AI writing function:
https://www.notion.so/blog/introducing-notion-ai

It makes me start to wonder… I typically think of Fibery as a very clear and direct Notion competitor (a better one IMHO :smile:), yet somehow I wasn’t feeling like Fibery would or even should go down the AI-in-free-text route. But here is Notion showing that there are at least some reasons to do so in the context of their users.

Now there are a couple of things that are top of mind for me with this. The first is that in my view their implementation of this is probably in large part a marketing play. Not to say that AI is not of use in Notion, but I suspect it was prioritized for implementation because A: existing APIs make it pretty easy to do and B: AI is a super hot topic right now and implementing it will get them a lot of press! Just from reading the Twitter comments on their announcement it’s clear that a lot of people have no clue that the Notion AI feature set is almost exactly the same as 10+ other tools, all of which (no surprise) are based on GPT-3. The real magic, of course, is in OpenAI’s large language model and the fact that they make it openly available via a nice API.

The second thought I had is that it’s arguable that Notion’s customer base is much more heavy in individuals and small content creators (YouTubers, bloggers, etc.) than Fibery is. This is not so much because either one is fundamentally more suited for a different customer base, per se, I think it’s more about marketing and reach, and it ties-in to some discussion we had in the “Lack of work management features” topic. Michael himself seems to feel Notion focuses more (or at least is more used for?) a writing-oriented use case:

Functionally speaking Fibery is not far behind Notion for Wiki uses though. It only lacks the breadth of embedding options to really get there, IMO. But… Fibery is not very focused on that use case. Although there is perhaps some room for that to change:

But outside of the free-text cases that Notion outlines (idea generation, summarization, proofreading), the GPT-3 type of AI does not really have as much wow factor. Implementing it in databases as an advanced type of Field would definitely be great, as I mentioned before. But now I’m starting to wonder if Fibery should just implement it in free text in the / menu just to tick the “Has AI!” box, largely for marketing purposes.

If my understanding is correct it’s pretty trivial to implement via the API, it could be a few days of work, and would make a fun announcement from Fibery team. I can just see it in their typical, dry, sarcastic style: “We saw everyone talking about AI so we decided to try it too. Here’s some AI stuff you can do now in Fibery. Give it a try, maybe it won’t disappoint you.” :smile:

4 Likes