Gantt & Dependency Tracking

Hi Guys,

This, of course, is a huge, broad subject. But I wanted to get the conversation started as you guys actually have asked for feedback if there’s interest in the feature yourselves!:

This is from one of your new tutorials here: Dependency management | Fibery Help Center

So to kick things off, I’d love to see a lot of what you had in TargetProcess, like:

• Due Date extension that would include both an “original” due date, and “actual” completion date
  • Dependent tasks that would wait on Predecessor, and seeing this in the Gantt. In TP as I recall these were color-coded differently and you had even nice “shades” to help differentiate various states of the related items in the Timeline/Gantt view:

• Concept of Lead/Lag time that helps plan in dependencies.

Timeline is already a useful view, so hopefully these will be things that will start to come as you guys evolve. I posted some suggestions around Timeline and Gantt-style improvements, but nobody responded. Here it is for reference:

Would love to see some of this stuff soon as they are another typical feature of all the “big” Project Management apps that I think a lot of users coming from those tools (like me!) will be expecting.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I have an increasing need for some dependency handling in Fibery, and I wanted to suggest an Extension for this. Here are a few of the elements of this request:

• My team has a lot of intra-Type dependencies. For example, a whole project can be depending on one task getting done. A “general” task can rely on a “dev” task, that are tracked in different Types. So ideally it would be great if you could simply make any entity dependent on “any” other - with say the requirement that they both need a State, but otherwise they can be in different Types

• This would be great to have visible visually. In Timeline, if you had separate Types with Entities dependent on one another, perhaps a dependency tracking line would only show up if you show both Entities in the timeline. Some illustrations of this type of Gantt visibility of dependencies is shown in this post:

• The extension would include some triggers, such as moving an entire set of dependent entities if the dates are changed on predecessors, etc. The use of “Lead Time” and “Lag Time” would be great here.

Thanks for the consideration of this!

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen this request before, but I do think this is quite interesting and inspired! I thought it is worth bringing it up on the board so others can also have a quick look.

I am not sure if dependencies are at all on the roadmap but they are a must for any serious project management work. In almost all cases though, the way their are setup is quite rigid and does not take into account that decencies and constraints can exists across different projects and different types of activities/types. I agree that an extension seems to be the best way of doing this across the entire workspace and would really be powerful (similar to way references extension works). I think automation may be another way but this seems more radical/inspired to me!

I was sure where to register my vote (here or on this topic), but seemed more interesting so you got my vote!

2 Likes

Could this be achieved if we had fields for all types, polymorphic relations, combined with automations?

1 Like

Upvote!. In the real estate project development field of our company, dependency visualization is also a necessity. Hiring many subcontractors is interdependent. If a subcontractor’s work is delayed, it affects the start date for many other subcontractors’ work.

2 Likes

Great thank you @anayericov for the support! Glad there is another out there who could use this, I hope the Fibery team moves it forward soon and we can gain votes as well!

And to your comment @Chr1sG:

I think you’re right, but as with a lot of mash-up solutions around here that involve ways to manipulate Fibery to do things that are simple “available” in other apps, I’m not sure 100% off hand that what you propose would cover the need here. Another example is a simple “+” to add an entity from a Template I talked about here, where Michael is proposing a solution that I think will work, but I haven’t had the time to analyze it.

So in this case, something like an extension for dependencies, or something that is obvious to the user that it’s a way to “create dependencies,” when in reality it could be just a wrapper of just what you describe - Polymorphic +Fields of all Types (good idea there but unfortunately I’m out of votes to vote for it). Does this make sense? In other words, it would be great to get some underlying features in Fibery released, but then still have some additional UI/UX stuff so it’s easier to achieve the functionality more intuitively.

And thanks again for bringing up Polymorphic. I see you used one of your valuable votes for that one as well :slight_smile:

I’ve created a template app which shows some basic Gantt chart/dependency functionality:

Hope some of you might find it useful :slight_smile:

As it is, it’s currently limited to only one type of entity (Task) so doesn’t really solve the complete problem of having entities of different types depending on each other, but I reckon it could be expanded fairly easily.

Not bad. Nice workaround.
I think ClickUp has a pretty solid implementation for task dependencies, including:

• Add one or multiple tasks that this task is WAITING ON
  • Add one or multiple tasks that this task is BLOCKING
  • Add one or multiple tasks that this task LINKS TO

1 Like

That’s interesting.
It would seem that ‘Waiting on’ = predecessors and ‘Blocking’ = successors, so how do the dependencies in ClickUp get reflected in project scheduling?
Like, if the person responsible for ‘2.14 Release’ decides that they are running late, what happens?

I’m not sure, but here’s a more detailed description of ClickUp’s implementation: Task Dependencies | ClickUp Tutorials & Docs